There are a number of places you could go to build a quick website, but my favorites are WordPress, Squarespace and About.me. Before you get started, you’ll need to have three tools: a domain name (e.g. mywebsite.com), web hosting and a theme. A domain name and web hosting will cost some money. However, themes are available for free and for a fee. Pro tip: Don’t be afraid to spend a little money and invest some capital in your domain name and web hosting. It makes you look more professional when you website stands on its own.
WordPress is clearly the most dominant web design software. It started off as a blogging platform, but it has quickly turned into a platform that gives you endless ways to present idea on the Web.
- Writing content is similar to writing in Word
- Has a ton of templates to choose from and build upon
- Because everyone uses it, it’s easy to install
- Plugins are available to make your site truly unique
- Blogging is built in to the platform
- If you copy the demo, you’ll have a professional-looking website in no time
- You don’t have to know a lot of coding
- It comes with a lot of built-in technology to help your website get found by search engines
- If you do know some coding, you can customize the template to your heart’s desire to make a really cool website
Squarespace is the rookie of the year that has quickly become an all-star year after year. Squarespace is an all-in-one platform, so you don’t need a whole lot else to get going (which is great!).
- Domain name, web hosting and templates are all housed in the same place
- To build your site, all you have to do is drag and drop things in place
- The templates are beautiful (as advertised)
- All of the functions work very smoothly, which means building your site should be a breeze and fun
- No coding knowledge required
- When you drag and drop elements on the page, you get to see them in real time
- You get access to a number of free or low-cost extras when you launch your site
About.me is pretty cool because it’s just a landing page with you photo and some important links about yourself. That’s all you really need. Often, people will create an About.me site and link it to their business or blog. The bottom line: it gets the basic job done.
- Minimalist design
- Comes with easy ways to link all your important pages online
- The focus is completely on you, and your site points people to what matters most